Welcome to P.G.Oxley Ltd.
160 years ago, in 1857 (the same year Queen Victoria Opened the Victoria & Albert Museum in London), Philip Oxley laid down the foundations and principles of a business which continues to develop and flourish as a family concern today, despite changes in technology, intense competition and the wide sweeping social changes which have occurred over the intervening years.
Philip Oxley originally established his business as the village carpenter in Walton-on-the-Naze and in common with village carpenters up and down the country, he was by tradition also the village undertaker.
Philip's joinery skills were employed in handcrafting coffins to each customer’s individual specifications and he used a horse drawn hearse to carry out funerals.
In the 1800’s the two businesses were then seen as complementary operations and almost uniquely, 160 years later the two businesses remain structured in the same way today as P.G. Oxley Ltd continues to offer personal and individual service in both building and funeral services.